Friday, March 2, 2012

3.2.12 - Background

One thing I forgot to mention about last night's rehearsal:

During Meesh's discovery moment, she blew into the hole in the middle of the wooden paper towel holder and a feather came out.  It surprised everyone and it was a delightful moment on stage.  No one expected it and it got everyone instantly interested in what was going on.  That is what we are trying to do.

I realized today that I have assumed you know what I know about the development of this project.  While rehearsals have started this week, I have been working on this project for a while.  Like I said before, it started with interviews in the summer.  In September, Andy came up to Amherst for a weekend to lead an intensive workshop introducing us to Moment Work.  This was open to all five-college students who signed up (there were about 14 who participated) and open to any Pioneer Valley community members who wanted to come and watch.  During the Fall semester, I was in a Theater and Dance class called “Performance Project,” where I created a short piece using public documents as text and using Moment Work.  During Interterm, Andy came back up for a weeklong intensive in the next level of Moment Work.  This was also open to five college student participants and community member observers.  During the week, we learned more about finding narrative in this way of working and more about using text.  All throughout this time I have been building my team of collaborators.  I have also been getting interviews transcribed, organizing text, and talking with Andy about the direction of the play.  It has been important to have all this time because each time we got into a rehearsal room with other people we learned something new.  It has been constructive to have time in between these active sessions to reflect on what we have discovered and generate a plan to go forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment