Friday, March 9, 2012

3.8.12 - Rehearsal 7


I still wasn’t feeling well in rehearsal tonight, but I thought we had a productive rehearsal.  We are starting to get the timing right in between moments so that someone is always setting up and we are thinking ahead so we can work on as many moments as we can.  We all help each other out and because of that the transitions are getting smoother.

We started with Morning Announcements and then moved on to our prepared moments.  Sam’s testing moment had me with a big cardstock white oval for a head.  We’re getting six white ones and six grey ones made and might do a standardized testing dance number.  Anything is possible.  My moment had text about a high school metal class where I built a metal grate for an organization whose grate was broken.  I also had someone on a ladder dropping ovals on someone else in a desk taking a test.  One of the cast members felt the moment was paternalistic.  While I disagreed, Andy made a good point that the stuff we are talking about in this play is so politically charged.  Audience members will be coming to the theater will very strong opinions and we need to be aware of that, but being aware doesn’t mean shying away from controversial issues.  Meesh had a lovely moment where she was a burlesque-ish clown that filled in an oval on one chalkboard and painted on another to some fun Italian music.  One of my favorite parts was the first time she painted; it was a total surprise.  Without thinking about it, I was clapping enthusiastically – a theater magic moment.  We worked a bit with discovering the physicality of the LA Times reporters: how to make them a team.  We finished rehearsal by working on some text moments that Andy had brought in.

No comments:

Post a Comment